New Liskeard Carnegie Library
Ontario’s Carnegie Libraries are an important part of the Province’s cultural, architectural, and civic heritage. Built from local limestone in 1910 with a grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the New Liskeard Public Library faithfully served the New Liskeard area for 110 years until it was closed earlier this year. While many Carnegie buildings across North America have been altered or demolished, the Carnegie building in New Liskeard is specifically recognized by the Ontario Association of Architects for the preservation of most of its interior and exterior features. It is a prime example of the Carnegie Libraries and as a result, was municipally registered as a heritage building in 1983.
As of December 15th, 2020, the City of Temiskaming Shores approved the “sale of the former New Liskeard Branch Library (50 Whitewood Avenue) to Woodland Heritage Northeast Ltd.” who has committed to preserving the historic landmark (By-law No. 2020-127, The Corporation of the City of Temiskaming Shores). OCARE is grateful that this heritage Carnegie building will be protected through the acquisition by Woodland Heritage Northeast.
Please contact us on the form at the bottom of the page for additional information: